Transnet Freight Rail is looking for a Trainee Train Assistant in Ermelo, Mpumalanga, The purpose of the position is to assist the Train Driver in the movement of the train, shunt the train and to convey information to the client centre en route to enhance the safe, fast movement of commodities.Requirements
- • Obtain and place equipment on train (plus minus 15 kg)
- • Check and supplement prescribed equipment i.e. pantograph hook stick (plus minus 5 kg), jumper cables (plus minus 10 kg) etc.
- • Coupled locomotives (multiple set) through air and vacuum hoses, jumper cable and ensure correct functioning of automatic coupler between locomotives
- • Despatch locomotives, operating hand operated points
- • Attach and/or detach vehicles according to works order in absence of yard personnel (Equivalent of 45 kg)
- • Mount telemeters (where necessary) i.e. mount (front unit = 5.17 kg) (rear unit = 8.06 kg)
- • Remove and carry train indicators to last vehicle and mount (side and rear indicators) (plus minus 10 kg). Required to board vehicle to effect proper mounting
- • Examining of train as prescribed
- • Verbal exchange of signal positions •Observe proceeding trains
- • Patrol locomotives (walking through corridors of electric locomotives using extended foot plate and hand rails at speeds up to 40 km/h; walking on running board of diesel locomotives and stepping over to another locomotive at speeds up to 40 km/h; manual operating of circuit breakers while locomotive is in motion)
- • Protect train during incidents, accidents etc.
- • Be prepared to walk relatively long distances to check train loads (day and night)
- • (Determine status of train, placing and securing of detonators on rail, displaying hand signals day and night, walking on uneven ground, ability to withstand natural elements)
- • Assistance to Train Driver during emergencies (in event of Driver failure to bring train to standstill; walking long distances to report position, and requirements)
- • Attach/detach trucks as per works-order (manual application of equipment; standing of vehicle walking alongside moving vehicles)
- • Obtain radios/handsets/two way communication radios/telemeters when applicable (carrying of communication equipment and place on footplate or mount on vehicle)
- • Assist the Train Driver by applying hand brake
- • Secure as prescribed (applying hand brakes and placing of scotch blocks in front wheels)
- • Store tools and equipment (remove kit-box from locomotive and store away)
- • Grade 12 with Mathematics
- • At least 1,6 meters tall
- • Visual acuity
- • Be prepare to attend and pass the first available course in Trainee Train Assistant duties
- • Physically able to lift and carry objects (be prepared to be subjected to assessment of physical abilities)
- • Applicants must have the potential and attributes necessary to be trained to efficiently and safely perform the tasks of a Train Assistant and to be trained as a Train Driver.
- • Safety conscious
- • Environmental awareness
- • Conscientious
- • Prepared to work overtime
- • Prepared to work shifts
How to apply
Applications close on 20 October 2016.
Completed curriculum vitae (CV) to be submitted by fax to 0117749919
(Please use this reference number: 50009647).
Alternatively click here to apply online